You know that adage, “Don’t judge a book by its cover?” That is precisely what potential homebuyers do when they approach your home. What they see from the outside determines their mindset for what lies beyond your front door. Prospective homebuyers are more inclined to look inside if they like what they see outside. If the exterior is not attractive, home buyers will view your interior with an overly critical eye.
According to the National Association of Realtors, 63 percent of homebuyers will visit a home they like after viewing it online. The aesthetic look of your home’s exterior is the first impression of your home and sets expectations for what’s inside. It’s called curb appeal, and it is a crucial component in selling your house and adding to its property value. On average, homes with well-kept lawns and professional landscaping sell for 7% more than homes with exterior flaws or unattractive front yards. In today’s competitive home buying market, an inviting outside can mean the difference between a bidding war or one offer below the asking price.
How Do You Create The First Impression That Lures Homebuyers?
Dedicate a portion of your home improvement budget to the outside of your home. Your house needs to present itself favorably from the street. Your curb appeal starts with the front entry, yard, driveway, and sidewalk. First, attend to your grass, landscaping, and trees. It should all be in good condition. A well-maintained exterior tells buyers your home has been taken care of and can also give the impression that your whole house is in good shape, including parts that have nothing to do with the exterior.
- Keep your lawn freshly manicured, mowed, trimmed, and edged.
- Trees and shrubs should accent and enhance your home, not hide it. The area nearest your house needs to be clear of eyesores, including overgrown or dying bushes.
- Remove all dead or diseased trees and large tree limbs that hang dangerously over the house. Hire a professional to ensure the removal is done safely and correctly.
- Flowering plants are a quick and inexpensive way to brighten your home. Adding a fresh layer of mulch to the flower beds is the “icing on the cake.”
- Update your walkway by adding flowers along the side or by rebricking or repairing cracks.
- Outdoor living spaces are now a “must-have” for most homebuyers. Make sure your patio, porch, and deck look fresh and welcoming by adding potted plants.
Why Is Curb Appeal Important?
Remember that the first impression for potential homebuyers has a vast and lasting impact as they tour your home. The professional landscapers at Artistic Tree and Landscape Creations know how to transform a house’s ordinary exterior into a valuable sought-after home. Call us at (412) 303-4443 so we can help you get ready to sell your home!